SMCC Work Experience Policy
St Mary’s Catholic College, Casino
Student Work Experience Policy
Catholic schools, by their very nature, offer holistic learning experiences for students. In the secondary context, one of our aims is to ensure that students are ‘work ready’ when they leave St Mary’s. In recent years, the NSW Government has increased the traditional minimum ‘leaving age’ from fifteen to seventeen years and practices such as mandated periods of work experience (traditionally undertaken in Year 10) have been phased out, with all students now encouraged to undertake the Higher School Certificate.
Work Experience at St Mary’s
Notwithstanding the rationale provided above, there will be occasions when it is appropriate for students to undertake a structured period of Work Experience to trial their suitability to occupations which are not readily experienced within the traditional school setting. Real consideration should be given to the type of Work Experience undertaken, which should both support and inform future career goals. While there are no longer designated ‘Work Experience Blocks’ in any year level, a student may be granted permission to undertake a period of Work Experience, utilising the following guidelines:
- A student MUST be at least 14 years of age or over;
- No payment is received for the work performed;
- Work Experience is preferably undertaken during student holiday periods;
- If it is not possible to arrange Work Experience during school holidays, students must ensure that the period requested does not conflict with assessment items, designated Exam Blocks, College Retreats and other compulsory College expectations;
- Permission will only be granted for ONE period of Work Experience in each school year;
- The hours of work are those of a normal working day for the particular occupation Monday – Friday;
- Formal documentation, including Personal Accident and Public Liability Insurance Policies, must have been signed by all parties. These forms are available from the College Careers Adviser.
Further information is available from the College Careers Adviser, with final approval to undertake Work Experience granted by the College Principal, on a case-by-case basis.
22 February, 2017.